Thursday, June 3, 2010

How I got into Kitchen design and then some

My background and how I got into kitchen design....let's start at the very beginning.  It is actually in my blood to be designing kitchens.  My grandfather was a woodworker, my cousin is a woodworker, and, not a blood relative, my husband actually went to school for finished carpentry.  My grandparents lived in Kreamer, PA, right across the street from what is now Wood Mode, the custom cabinet manufacturer.  My great-grandfather actually owned the planing mill, Kreamer Planing Mill, that he eventually sold and is now Wood Mode.  So, needless to say, I have always known of Wood Mode and their quality cabinetry. 

I grew up not really knowing what I wanted to do as a career, so when it came time to go to college and select a major I knew I loved art and trying new things out with my bedroom, so I chose interior design as my major.  During my junior year in college I decided to do an internship for credit.  I had always been interested in kitchen design, so I did my internship at Advanced Kitchens in Mechanicsburg, PA.  During my internship, I was given the opportunity to do my mom's kitchen as my project.  It turned out beautifully, and from then on I was hooked.  My senior year in college I was told by a professor that I should reconsider being a kitchen designer and try a different focus, like lighting, because kitchen designers don't make any  money.  Well, at that point I not only decided that I didn't like that professor, but I didn't care about how much money I made as long as I was happy going to work every day. 

I was fortunate enough to get into a high-end kitchen design studio when I moved to Knoxville, TN, so the money thing wasn't really an issue.  I worked at Standard Kitchen in Knoxville, and sold Mouser Custom Cabinetry with some of the most talented designers I have ever met.  The designers I worked with became my family while I was there.  I had so much fun going on trips to Chicago, Atlanta, and even Las Vegas with them!  We would go to the National Kitchen and Bath show every year and we even go to go to market in Atlanta to accessorize the new showroom.  Through those trips I was able to see the latest and greatest in design and when I got back I was inspired and refreshed.  I miss my Knoxville family and hope to visit them soon!

In 2008 Joe was given the opportunity to go into sales for his company, and that position change brought us up North to Baltimore, MD.  I knew that I wanted to sell Wood Mode cabinetry (see above), so I looked up who the local dealer was in Baltimore.  That took me to Kenwood Kitchens.  I, again, was so fortunate to be offered a job there.  I worked in their Abingdon, MD location while I was there.  After about a year, Joe and I had the opportunity to move our family back to Harrisburg, PA, and we had to take it.  So, once again, we packed up our family and moved.

Thankfully, there was a Wood Mode dealer in the area with an opening and I was offered the job, thanks to my previous knowledge of the product and design.  This brings me to where I am now, Ed Lank Kitchens in Lemoyne, PA.  I am designing and selling Wood Mode cabinetry and I couldn't be happier!  I am looking forward to the multiple jobs that I have designed that will be installed this summer.  Visit Ed Lank's website at http://www.edlank.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment